[luatex] BOM

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Sat May 16 09:50:10 CEST 2009

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard wrote:
> Reinhard Kotucha a écrit :
>> On 16 May 2009 Yannis Haralambous wrote:
>>
>>  > Whether useful or not, a bug or a feature, something must be done;
>>  > because the average user is helpless when something invisible for him
>>
>> I proposed \errmessage and \errhelp in order to make things visible.
>>
> Since the standard says it's allowed, it shouldn't be treated as an error. One
> may disgree with the standard, but it's still the standard...

That was my point as well, and that is why I am wiling to do some setup
in ini-luatex.

The fact that BOMs are allowed in Unicode text files just means that
not all Unicode text files are valid shell scripts. That is in itself
not surprising: there are many other kinds of text files that are not
valid shell scrips either.

And even though my own files do not have a BOM, it certainly has a use:
many text editors (also on linux) do incorrect auto-guessing of the text
encoding without it. I work around that by disabling the automatic
encoding. Instead I force my text editor to treat all text files as
UTF-8, but for many people that is not a feasible option.

Best wishes,
Taco