[luatex] BOM

Javier Bezos listas at tex-tipografia.com
Fri May 15 12:43:37 CEST 2009

luigi scarso wrote:

> The point is that , given a fixed encoding (utf-8) as in ref. manual,
> U+FEFF is still ambiguous if not in intial position for BOM purpouse (as
> stated in Unicode 5.0 standard),
> and the ambiguity is about spacing ,ie  typography, ie
> the area of concern of luatex, which is not a recode or iconv like program .

The point (my point) is that at the beginning of a file it can be
only handled in a general way with some preprocessing. In the
middle of the text there should be no problems because it's under
our control (including callbacks).

> U+FEFF as "space" semantic is valid, but deprecated , and we must decide
> what about it :

The semantics of FEFF is unrelated to luatex (as typesetting
engine) and its behaviour should be decided by the format or the
user.

Javier