[luatex] BOM

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Fri May 15 01:27:33 CEST 2009

> then it should not be ignored anywhere except when it is the first
> character of the file? i.e. setting the \catcode "FEFF = 9
> would be wrong?

  Formally, yes, it's wrong.  But the use of U+FEFF as zero width
no-break space is deprecated since almost ten years, and the
overwhelmingly vast majority of use cases of that character will be as
"BOM" -- more correctly, as Unicode encoding scheme marker, since byte
order is not an issue for UTF-8, as I'm sure you know.

  I realize this does not help in making a decision, I only wanted to
answer Karl's question as precisely as possible.

	Arthur