[luatex] bug in RTL typesetting?

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Mon Mar 30 02:09:50 CEST 2009

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 12:24:44AM +0200, Hartmut Henkel wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Mar 2009, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> nice example! However i don't know what to do in the TLB case. Currently
> the glyphs hang down from the text baseline (as shown in the example),
> but maybe in TLB mode also the glyph baselines should be aligned with
> the text baseline. Any idea what's right?

I didn't think in it before, I don't know where TLB would be used. Now,
I can think it is used in Indic scripts (in which the glyphs usually
hang from the base line), then TRT for Arabic would be the logical
choice, imagine Devanagari mixed with Arabic. TRB wouldn't make any
sense for Arabic since it will break the way glyphs are connected
together, unless the glyphs are rotated 180 degrees which would be very
funny but almost useless.

Regards,
 Khaled

--