[luatex] Luatex primitive names

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de
Wed Mar 11 12:15:16 CET 2009

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 11:00:52AM +0100, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Heiko Oberdiek wrote:
> >
> >LuaTeX 0.25 is part of TL 2008, thus it will be significantly present
> >some time, probably years, if not decades.
> >  Thus my concern is that using the syntax of version 0.40
> >will generate a low level error message, that cannot be understood
> >by the "normal" user, forcing him to ask in newsgroups and
> >mailing lists or even go away from LuaTeX.
>
> well, it depends on how something is advertised ... any luatex based
> package writer should be honest and tell the users that they should
> update package(s)

I don't have the phone numbers of the users. Ok, joke aside.
AFAIK the best way of telling is an appropriate error message:

\IfVersionIsTooOld{%
  \DieWithError{Please Update}%
}

My concern is the definition of \IfVersionIsTooOld.
How it can be done in a *robust* and *reliable* way?
\luatexversion seems the easiest way with lowest costs.

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>