[luatex] macros to invoke lua in LaTeX

Ulrike Fischer luatex at nililand.de
Fri Mar 6 09:41:04 CET 2009

Am Fri, 6 Mar 2009 01:08:53 +0100 schrieb Reinhard Kotucha:

>  > > Regarding namespaces: It's a good idea at first glance.  But I don't
>  > > think there is any need to be concerned about macro packages people
>  > > write in the future.  Macro writers have to read the specifications
>  > > anyway.  They have to read the TeXbook if they want to support Knuth's
>  > > tex, they have to read the pdfTeX manual if they want to support
>  > > pdftex, and they have to read the LuaTeX manual if they want to support
>  > > Luatex.  Same for e-TeX, XeTeX, Omega, and derivates.
>  >
>  > Another reason for prefixes. As package author I wouldn't want
>  > to check all engines for name clashes.
>
> You have to check anyway.  At least if you want to support all
> engines.

I have to know the exact names of the new primitive commands only if
I want to use them. To write a package that can be used with all
engines without a clash it is enough to know how to avoid the names.
That's easy with pdftex: simply don't use commands starting with
\pdf. It's also easy with XeTeX: avoid commands starting with
\XeTeX. But with luatex you are right. I will have to check
everytime a new version is released if there is a conflict.

> e-TeX provides new primitives, why can't luatex do the same?

Nobody is denying luatex the right to declare new primitives. The
only question is if the names of this new primitives should use some
namespace.

>  > Also it's quite difficult to check future name clashes, especially
>  > for user land macro names.
>
> Please try LaTeX's \newcommand .

What would this help? If it doesn't give an error now, there is no
way to know if it will give an error later.

--
Ulrike Fischer