[luatex] macros to invoke lua in LaTeX

Ulrike Fischer luatex at nililand.de
Thu Mar 5 15:40:17 CET 2009

Am Thu, 05 Mar 2009 09:19:15 +0100 schrieb Taco Hoekwater:

>> Not just right now, but at any time in the future: if a new primitive
>> \foo is introduced, any existing package that happens to use \foo is
>> potentially affected.
>
> This is the best argument ever -- for not developing luatex at all.
>
> Until version luatex 1.0, we reserve the right to make any change.
> Because if we were to promise not to remove old primitives and to
> avoid adding conflicting primitives, you get exactly what you have
> already: pdftex. Which isn't going away.

Naturally luatex can add new primitives (and should do it) like
pdftex has done it. And you will never be able to avoid that such a
new primitive clash somehow. But nevertheless I think it would be
very useful if the names of the primitives would use an uniform
prefix -- even more as luatex is not stable and new primitives can
arise or disappear again. Prefixes like \pdf of pdftex and \XeTeX of
xetex create a simple namespace and enable package writers to avoid
_future_ conflicts with new primitives simply by not using the
prefix.

--
Ulrike Fischer