[luatex] Why obsolete the fontforge name space?

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Fri Jun 19 19:16:10 CEST 2009

Hi,

Yue Wang wrote:

> True for ConTeXt. but a great pain for Chinese TeX Society to develop
> a TeX/LaTeX support package --- We should wait before the computer,
> with a cup of tea, watching the screen closely for minutes to see the
> actual coding result. And each compilation takes the package user a
> long time.

After on by your work drew so much of my attention to the font loading
parts of luatex, I decided to do some profiling of my own as I had a
lost half hour before dinner anyway. Not with gprof but with callgrind
this time, and that was a big help!

You probably (certainly!) want to check out the commit I just did
(#2537), as it speeds up TrueType font loading for (especially) large
fonts, and without *any* need for user-side configuration options.

There is a small price to pay for the (sometimes massive) speedup,
but it is really, really minor and I trust people can easily live
with the following two restrictions:

* The truetype boundingbox data in the font is assumed to be accurate
* No check is made for the uniqueness of the names of the glyphs

I have not looked at OTF loading yet, maybe tomorrow.

Best wishes,
Taco