[luatex] Why obsolete the fontforge name space?

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Fri Jun 19 16:54:39 CEST 2009

Yue Wang wrote:

> Li Yanrui's profile results confirms my opinion:
> during font loading, Lua uses very short time to build tables. most of
> the time are used by fontforge (parsing fonts and calculating).
> see http://yuleopen.googlepages.com/prof.txt

> and it is difficult to optimize fontforge there are several, not just
> one or two, functions takes very long time to execute.

It is more straightforward than you think: it is spending most of its
time on work that is needed to calculate glyph boundingboxes correctly.

I can add code to support a switch to do a "simplified boundingbox"
discovery only, and that would drop the font loading time considerably.
But font loading is normally a one-time process of which the results
are cached, so this does not have a high priority.

Best wishes,
Taco