[luatex] [Dev-luatex] Luatex 0.42.0 (a snapshot release)

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sat Jul 18 01:15:47 CEST 2009

On 17 July 2009 Peter Rolf wrote:

 > All I know is that Acrobats 'optimized' PDF are much bigger than
 > the original ones.

I assume that 'optimization' means to create a PDF file which is
optimized for so-called "fast web view".

If you click on a PDF file in your web browser, you certainly want
that the PDF browser displays the first page before the whole document
is downloaded.  This can only work if the fonts used on the first page
are not at the bottom of a PDF file.

The PDF files created by pdftex are much smaller because subsets of
fonts are created at the very end, when pdftex knows which glyphs are
actually needed.  A PDF file consists of many objects and the object
table is also at the very end of the file.

If you want to see the first page before the whole document exists on
your machine, you have to make sure that the subsets of all the fonts
used on page one are close to the content of page one in the PDF file.
You also have to re-arrange the object table.  And on page two, you
certainlay need additional glyphs...

The expression "optimized PDF" is certainly misleading, I prefer
"linearized PDF" instead.  A linearized PDF file is definitely not
smaller than the original file.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25