[luatex] lua-inputenc

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de
Wed Feb 18 23:15:02 CET 2009

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 06:53:55PM +0100, Ulrike Fischer wrote:

> I do understand that the code converts 8-bit input in legal utf-8.

I would rather call it "fake-utf-8".

> What I don't understand is how later on latex can print the U+0080
> (in which the euro sign got converted) as an euro. utf8enc.dfu maps
> 20AC to the euro, 0080 doesn't have a declaration.

No, you wouldn't use utf8, but for example ansinew.def, this maps
character 0x80 (or decimal 128) to \texteuro.

This method is the most compatible way, but it strips off the
new possibilities of using UTF-8 encoding with LuaTeX.
Therefore I don't think, it's a good base for new development.

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>