[luatex] plain LuaTeX

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue Feb 10 11:59:30 CET 2009

وفا خلیقی <vafakh9 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Why do not you guys contact Knuth? and ask him to do that. He may be
> interested to do that and if he does that, then every single Plain TeX
> user will be accepting such low level macros.

i would be amazed if don was interested; while he does read about
developments, his actual work engine is plain tex running over
un-extended tex.  (this is why distributions have an un-extended tex
image at all -- everything else runs over pdfetex or the like.)

a plain luatex *has* to have non-knuth stuff in it.  if you don't want
to use it, on that basis, you might find it good to give up on luatex,
now.  (i hope you don't, as i have no doubt your expertise will be
helpful to the world at large; but if you decide to go, there's nothing
any of us can, or want to, do.)

my original comment (that you reacted to) was merely to explain that we
can't extend plain tex; we have to have a new package called something
like luaplain, which has plain.tex, un-amended, as a part.

robin