[luatex] LuaTeX + LaTeX

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 01:46:30 CET 2009

On 2009-02-04 10:22:15 +1030,
karl at freefriends.org (Karl Berry) said:

> That is, we can make the "(pdf)lualatex" format load additional packages
> -- we can do anything we want there, since compatibility does not arise.
> I hope that such packages would be designed, insofar as its possible, to
> eventually be included in the LaTeX kernel (else they shouldn't be in a
> format at all).

In my opinion, the only reason that encoding support or font support or
whatever should be pre-loaded in the lualatex format is if those
relevant packages become pre-loaded in the latex format (low-level
support provided by pdftex.def is another story). And that's not going
to happen, for backwards compatibility reasons.

However, the LaTeX team is happy to make changes to the packages it
maintains such as inputenc to behave in an appropriate manner with the
new engines. It just hasn't happened yet :)

Cheers,
Will