[luatex] using (pdf)lualatex

Dohyun Kim nomosnomos at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 08:07:26 CET 2009

2009/2/2 Arthur Reutenauer <arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org>:
>> Please visit http://cvs.ktug.or.kr/~nomos/
>
>  Some TeX files there use a luatexko.sty package, and a quick search
> points to
> http://ftp.ktug.or.kr/KTUG/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/latex/kotex-dev/luatexko/
> but you need to install quite a lot of fonts which are available at the
> same location.

I was very surprised to see here links to my humble site
and informal kotex (Korean TeX) repository, which was
prepared by KTUG for Korean users of texlive 2008.

Luatexko.sty and other related macros were developed
just for testing or evaluating the possibility of typesetting
Korean documents using luatex. The codes are messy and
there's no documentation except than somewhat terse
three-page guideline written in Korean. Sorry for that.

I think luatexko can typeset modern Korean document
quite well, if luatex binary is compiled from recent svn repository.
The binary from texlive distribution is not usable with latex
because of its many bugs, which were fixed after version 0.30.

Currently, however, luatexko cannot deal with opentype layout
features (especially, those of ccmp, ljmo, vjmo and tjmo),
which are essential for typesetting old Korean documents
being used until 100 years ago or so.  I am waiting for
a more general solution from latex (or plain tex) world
rather than implementing Korean-language-specific stuffs right now.

BTW, the only shortcoming of current luatex seems to be that
it consumes so much memory while loading CJK truetype fonts
whose size is normally much bigger than Latin fonts
(100 times bigger case is not infrequent), that it is almost
unusable under machines with small size of ram.

Anyway,  those who are interested can download and install
luatexko package for texlive 2008 by issuing command:

tlmgr --location=http://ftp.ktug.or.kr/KTUG/texlive/2008 install
kotex-dev kotex-base

Best,
Dohyun Kim