[luatex] ini files for TL 2009

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon Apr 20 01:03:09 CEST 2009

The TeX world has historically always provided different engine names
for DVI vs. PDF, and (as I said) that is what users and front ends
expect.  So far I have not seen anyone advance any arguments why
continuing to do so here, with dvilua(la)tex, is an explicitly bad
thing.  Yes, there are many alternative ways the output format could be
specified, but I don't see that any of them provides obvious benefits
over different engine names.

Providing the different names is simple to do, and so far, I continue to
want to do that.