[luatex] ini files for TL 2009

Ulrike Fischer luatex at nililand.de
Sun Apr 19 16:05:35 CEST 2009

Am Sun, 19 Apr 2009 15:53:40 +0200 schrieb Elie Roux:

> Ulrike Fischer a écrit :
>> A lot of packages make a lot of efforts to detect the engine and the
>> output mode to allow you to process your documents with various
>> engines without changing them. And there are packages like ifpdf,
>> ifluatex, ifxetex to help to write document which can be used with
>> various engines. So it seems a bit nonsensical to load a restricting
>> package like dvioutput and I will certainly never do it.
>
> I think I don't really understand what you mean... I won't use dvioutput
> neither, as I don't use dvi output... but we're talking about people
> wanting a dvi output instead of the default pdf.

No, we are talking about people who sometimes want dvi and sometimes
pdf.

>> After all there are cases e.g. when using pst-pdf where you want
>> to process a document in both modes.

> What do you mean processing a document in both modes?
>
> Let's make usecases:
>
> John doesn't care at all about dvi, pdf is fine for him. He won't use
> dvioutput, luatex will default to pdf mode, and his packages will adapt
> to pdf output.
>
> Bill wants a dvi output, he has certainly very good reasons to want it.
> He uses dvioutput, luatex will be in dvi mode, and his packages will
> adapt to dvi output.
>
> What's wrong with it?

That there is also Harry which processes its document first in
dvi-mode to extract e.g. the pstricks images, then converts them to
pdf and then makes the final document in pdf-mode. Read the docu of
pst-pdf or auto-pst-pdf it you don't understand what I mean.

Btw: In the context mailing someone asked today how to make a dvi
because he wanted to you asymptote to make graphics.

And there are also people who write packages and test them in both
modes. Did you never made such tests?

--
Ulrike Fischer