[luatex] ini files for TL 2009

Arno Trautmann Arno.Trautmann at gmx.de
Fri Apr 17 12:41:41 CEST 2009

Elie Roux wrote:
> Taco Hoekwater a écrit :
>> I know you are concerned with backward compatibility with pdftex,
>> but the fact is that luatex's dvi mode is worthless whenever
>> fonts in opentype format are being used. And the new font support is
>> the most important argument for using luatex in the first place,
>> so insisting on dvi output seems somewhat backward to me.
>
> I agree... maybe we should simply let luatex (and lualatex) be in pdf
> mode, remove pdfluatex (and pdflualatex),

Yes, I like that.
Ulrike, I’m talking about the normal user. Of course everybody can build
his own format, but then we wouldn’t need MikTeX or TeXlive at all.
Someone new to LaTeX doesn’t know about dvi and might be confused by the
complex way LaTeX ⇒ dvi ⇒ ps ⇒ pdf. And as Taco mentioned, dvi seems to
be useless with LuaTeX …

> and let people who really want
> dvi use \pdfoutput=0... This sounds like a good solution to me...

Well, an additional dvilualatex might be nice.

Arno