[luatex] Vital RTL issues in LuaTeX

Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي ح Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي ح
Fri Apr 10 15:29:49 CEST 2009

On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 07:06:31 -0600, وفا خلیقی <vafakh9 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> This is definitely a macro-package issue for number 1 also.
>
> I am afraid that is absolutely false.

Ok, let me make this absolutely clear:

By definition, axiom, philosophy, decree from above, or whatever you want
to call it:

Bidi implementation and the like is not, I repeat, NOT the job of the
luatex engine qua engine. This principle derives from the axiomatic basis
of the luatex philosophy and motivation. That is NOT going to change.

>> There is a difference of philosophy here: It is not the job of the
>> engine
>> to hardwire the bidi algorithm or any other implementation. This is the
>> job
>> of the macropackage. Then one has full control without having to fiddle
>> with
>> the engine.

> Can you be more specific?

One example: If I (or Hans or Yannis or Knuth or Arthur or...) comes up
with an alternative bidi algorithm, we will have flexibility and control
without messing with the engine. XeTeX has a different philosophy, one
that is perhaps more to your liking :-)

Best wishes
Idris

International Journal of Shi`i Studies