[luatex] luatex's pause

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Apr 7 03:21:56 CEST 2009

On 5 April 2009 James Cloos wrote:

 > Reinhard> $ time pdflatex \\stop
 > Reinhard> $ time pdflualatex \\stop
 >
 > I tried that using GNU time(1).  I have TeXlive 2008 installed.

First of all, thank you very much for pointing me to GNU time.  I had
not been aware of it, but I installed it now.  It's great.

 > The time output (only) of the two commands are:
 > [...]

 > Note the minor page fault, context switche and file system i/o numbers.

Hmmm, I can't imagine that minor page faults are so expensive.  I get
even more of them:

        Major (requiring I/O) page faults: 0
        Minor (reclaiming a frame) page faults: 27090
        Voluntary context switches: 1
        Involuntary context switches: 594

And I can't imagine that context switches are the problem.  Well, file
I/O is expensive.  But last Saturday I upgraded my RAM to 4 GB and
have the impression that nothing actually had been read from disk
since then.

Nothing reported by GNU time explains such a delay.  I doubt that the
problem is caused by system calls.  Note that I can reproduce it on
Windows, where system calls are implemented completely different than
in Unix.

What I absolutely don't understand is why pdfluatex and pdflualatex
behave so different.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25