[lltx] Luatex and multiple pattern files

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Mon Apr 11 19:17:02 CEST 2016

Am Mon, 11 Apr 2016 16:43:55 +0200 schrieb Claudio Beccari:

> Dear friends,
> I am facing a serious problem with luatex and its policy tho load
> pattern file only in demand, English excluded.
> The synonyms keyword in language.dat.lua contains the list of language
> names for which a given pattern file is applicable. The analogous
> hyphennames keyword in polyglossia does more or less the same thing.
>
> But there are language variants that require different hyphenation
> rules, and therefore different pattern files.
>
> You cannot select the proper hyphenation pattern file with any specific
> variant of the same language.

I'm not quite sure what is actually your problem.

But I don't think that the "policy" to load pattern files on demand
is a problem.

E.g. if I do this here

\documentclass[]{book}

\usepackage{polyglossia}

\setdefaultlanguage{latin}

\begin{document}
Hallo Welt!

\setkeys{latin}{variant=classic}

blub
\end{document}

Then the log-files reports (assembled from various places):

hyph-la.pat.txt
Language latin was not yet loaded; created with id 4
Language latin already loaded; id is 4

hyph-la-x-classic.pat.txt
Language classiclatin was not yet loaded; created with id 8
Language classiclatin already loaded; id is 8
Package polyglossia Info: Option: Classic Latin.

So obviously for both languages pattern files have been loaded
without problems.

With babel it works fine too:

\documentclass[]{book}
\usepackage[latin]{babel}

\begin{document}
Hallo Welt!
\begin{hyphenrules}{classiclatin}
blub\end{hyphenrules}

\begin{hyphenrules}{ngerman}
blub\end{hyphenrules}

\begin{hyphenrules}{french}
blub\end{hyphenrules}
\end{document}

gives in the log a long list of language assigments, and when
hyphenations are requested the patterns are loaded e.g.

(d:/texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/generic/hyph-utf8/loadhyph/loadhyph-la-x-classi
c.tex
ASCII Classical Latin hyphenation patterns

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/