[lltx] Today's update

Philipp Gesang Philipp.Gesang at alumni.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed May 29 15:18:21 CEST 2013

Hi Herbert,

···<date: 2013-05-29, Wednesday>···<from: Herbert Schulz>···

> With today's update of luaotfload the TEXMFVAR is properly
> constructed when the font cache is first created. Thanks to all
> for that fix.

you’re welcome. Thank you for testing.

> PS: It would be nice if there was a message that the font cache
> was being constructed and that could take a long time.

Are you referring to the font cache or the names database? Both
can be very slow. When luaotfload builds a new database it should
print this:

    luaotfload | db: Font names database not found, generating new one.

At least here it does. Anyways, this is only half of a two-line
message that is being truncated due to the way how texio works
(happens all the time cause we can’t flush output manually).
It’s possible that on your terminal nothing is printed at all
(check the log, the message should be there).

I’ll see what I can do about it.

> The many malloc warning messages for luaotfload and
> luaotfload-tool under OS X 10.5 (at least PPC) are still present
> when creating the font cache. To be expected since I first
> discovered that yesterday. Note: the process continues and the
> cache seems to be properly created since the files compile
> correctly.

I read your other message to the list but I’m afraid I can’t
reproduce this on my system (not a mac). If others have the same
problem it might be best to report it to the luatex list.

Best regards
Philipp