[lltx] luaotfload-database.lua

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Mon May 27 02:09:50 CEST 2013

On 2013-05-26 at 09:26:49 +0200, Élie Roux wrote:

 > Dear Reinhard,
 >
 > I'm sorry this is quite off-topic, but you seem to already have done
 > things I have on my todolist!
 >
 > > It's even faster because everything which is time consuming is done
 > > when the format file is created.  At run time the font is loaded again
 > > in order to put a subset into the PDF file.  This takes some time but
 > > can't be avoided anyway.
 >
 > So you confirm that loading fonts in the format speeds up things
 > significantly?

Hi Élie,
yes, because luaotfload doesn't have to do its work at run time.

 > By the way, did you not run into these bugs:
 >
 > http://tracker.luatex.org/view.php?id=824
 > http://tracker.luatex.org/view.php?id=825

I don't load a format file when creating a new one, i.e. I don't use
\&lualatex.  Using a single .ini file works.

However, if I use \RequirePackage{pgfplots} in my .ini file I get a
runtime error:
  PANIC: unprotected error in call to Lua API (object in use)
  /bin/sh: line 1: 12102 Aborted                 (core dumped)

This happens on the third page, so it probably clashes my stuff.

 > ? I'm planning to work on them, but it's far from being obvious... Do
 > you know if things exist to "decompile" the format in a human-readable
 > way? I used to have a tool to do this with dvi, but I've never seen it
 > with TeX format...

No Idea.  Maybe Taco or Karl can tell you more.

 > > Please note that *I* create the format file under Linux and then run
 > > the TeX file from a program which traces system calls (open, stat) in
 > > order to create a tiny TeX system in another directory.  This
 > > directory contains everything users need and it's what users get.
 >
 > Are you using home-made code or something available somewhere? If it's
 > your own, would you be ready to share it? This is something I definitely
 > wanted to try but haven't got the time yet...

I've written my own tool but it has to be adapted for TL2013
(texmf-dist vs. texmf).  Also, the creation of symlinks needs to be
revised.

There is also another tool on CTAN written by Heiko.  I've forgotten
its name, but you may find it here:

  http://ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/oberdiek

Regards,
  Reinhard