[lltx] luaotfload-database.lua

Philipp Gesang Philipp.Gesang at alumni.uni-heidelberg.de
Sun Jun 2 19:44:18 CEST 2013

···<Datum: Friday, 31. May 2013>···<Von: Ulrike Fischer>···

> Am Tue, 28 May 2013 19:17:21 +0200 schrieb Philipp Gesang:
>
> >> But I was more thinking about a way to handle the configuration more
> >> centralized. I have e.g. currently miktex, TL12 and TL13. All three
> >> tex-systems have access to the same local texmf-tree where I have
> >> stored some local fonts, blacklists for luaotfload etc. I think it
> >> would be useful to have there some configuration file, where I could
> >> put instructions like "if libertine is in the texmf-tree then use
> >> it".
>
> > This would be a simple matter of drawing up some DSL for
> > configuration. Then we keep extending it with every feature
> > request and in a couple years from now we’d end up with some
> > informally specified bug-ridden implementation of SQL.
>
> ;-). Actually I was thinking about a simple way to blacklist a
> folder or a font. And when I worded it in this way I realized that
> perhaps the blacklist configuration file could be used. Can one use
> kpse-Variables and "Wildcards" in the blacklist configuration file?

With the recent git you can now blacklist directories; testing
appreciated. As to wildcards I’ll look into it, but not
immediately. Maybe make a tracker item so I won’t forget.

> > Also, if we got rid of the ban on “write18”, we could use
> > fontconfig instead of the database.
>
> But on the other side would fontconfig give back a much information
> as does the current database (which I find quite useful)?

I guess so. Imo fc-query is a powerful tool.

> > [1] I’m aware that fontconfig probably won’t be available on
> >     Windows. But there should be some equivalent functionality
> >     that other programs use when they “access system fonts”.
>
> As I wrote somewhere in the beginning I'm using fontconfig to avoid
> clashed when using xelatex. On windows fontconfig comes with the
> TeX-System. But miktex and texlive differ in the locations and the
> naming for local configuration files:
>
> miktex uses  fontconfig/config/localfonts2.conf,
> texlive as far as I can see fonts/conf/local.conf

Would it make sense for the database to include those on Windows
or do they just point to c:/windows/fonts?

Best regards
Philipp