[lltx] spell checking TeX files

Stephan Hennig mailing_list at arcor.de
Thu Jan 10 18:15:17 CET 2013

Am 08.10.2012 10:36, schrieb Pander:
> On 2012-10-04 18:31, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>> On Thu, 4 Oct 2012, Stephan Hennig wrote:
>>
>>> BTW, the ConTeXt way of spell checking is exactly how I wouldn't do it.
>>> A static white list doesn't work too well for, e.g., the German
>>> language.
>>
>> I personally don't know anything about spell checking, so I won't
>> comment. But my impression is that the code is meant as a proof of
>> concept only (and hence the experimental status).
>
> I do know something about spell checking and using a static list is
> certainly way too simple. The best spell checking engine is Hunspell.

Yeah, Hunspell can deal with compound words, which are frequent in the
German language and can be built from rather arbitrary components.  I've
had a typo in the word Installationsschlüssel (installation key)
omitting an l, leading to Installationsschüssel (installation bowl).
Hunspell was quite happy about the new word (both compounds were valid
words).  Aspell did spot the error.  Moral: use the best spell-checker
as well as any other available.

> It has an API and can also be used via Enchant. Please use that in
> the implementation.

That's up to the user, the spelling package is spell-checker agnostic:
<URL:http://www.ctan.org/pkg/spelling>.  Installing spell-checkers (and
languages) can be quite painful on Windows.  That's why I'm completely
refraining from suggesting spell-checkers or giving hints on how to
install them.  Does anybody know some good resources I could link to in
the documentation?

Best regards,
Stephan Hennig