[lltx] Optical sizes and Adobe fonts

Philipp Gesang Philipp.Gesang at alumni.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Aug 1 17:34:18 CEST 2013

Hello David!

···<date: 2013-07-31, Wednesday>···<from: David Bellows>···

> Hello all,
>
> I posted the following question on Stack Exchange about how to specify
> optical sizes for fonts that come with them. I had thought there would
> be some set of options I could specify with \setmainfont but it's
> looking more and more like that's not the case. So instead it might be
> an issue with luaotfload that I'm not capable of dealing with.
>
> http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/126096/selecting-optical-sizes-for-all-fonts-in-a-family

Do you have an example that shows the same problem with a free
font?

> Is this the sort of issue y'all want to hear about in general? Is
> there more information you need from me? While I'm not a coder I am
> interested in helping in whatever little ways I can. I am going
> through all the commercial fonts I've purchased over the years and
> making sure they work perfectly with LuaTeX so do you want me to
> communicate those findings with you?

In general this is a good idea, but troubleshooting without
actually having the files on a machine can be tedious. When
reporting a font that doesn’t work as expected it is best to
include the output of

    luaotfload-tool --find=<font name> --inspect

e.g.

    luaotfload-tool --find="Minion Pro Bold Italic" --inspect

(This doesn’t work with files yet but that’s a todo.) otfinfo -i
is informative as well.

I’ll look into it, but not immediately. A tracker item on github
is the best reminder ;-).

Best regards,
Philipp