[lltx] luaotfload maintenance

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Fri Jun 15 15:12:07 CEST 2012

Am Fri, 15 Jun 2012 08:45:30 +0100 schrieb Joseph Wright:

> Can I ask for your 'parting thoughts' on the best way to proceed. You've
> tried to keep the code in sync with ConTeXt, and have clearly found that
> at least for you this was not sustainable. Would you recommend starting
> from scratch, starting from where luaotfload is now and working
> independently of ConTeXt or trying to get back in sync?

My *wish* would be (at least) one independant/self contained font
loader which can (and at best is) be used with all formats.

A font loader with a clear API to users/formats which wants to load
and to manipulate fonts (including e.g. reencoding, change kernings,
add missing glyphs, create virtual fonts).

"Getting back in sync" with context is imho not enough as - so my
impression - context is neither interested in makings its font
loader independant from the context format, nor in creating a
documentated and more or less stable low-level API. This means that
package writers have nothing to build on.

--
Ulrike Fischer