[lltx] linebreak_filter problems

Frank Mittelbach frank.mittelbach at latex-project.org
Sun Jun 10 16:50:26 CEST 2012

Hi folks,

can somebody help me to identify if I do something wrong or if there is
a bug with linebreak_filter.

Th problem is documented at length in

http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/59176/lastnodetype-not-working-as-expected-in-luatex

In a nutshell I try to replace (at certain times) TeX's linebreaking
algorithm and replace it with a simple version that just packs up the
hlist into an hbox and returns that.

If I do that the resulting box appears on the current vertical list (ie
is seen via \showlists) but at the same time

  \lastnotetype  returns -1
  \lastbox       picks up a void box

ie to some parts of TeX the list appears to be empty. Here is an MWE

\def\partest{%
    \directlua{%
      function hpackparagraph  (head)
        return node.hpack(head)
      end
      callback.register("linebreak_filter", hpackparagraph)
   }%
   \par
}

\setbox0\vbox{ABC\par

{\tracingonline1\showboxbreadth\maxdimen\showboxdepth\maxdimen\showlists}%
   \showthe\lastnodetype
}

\setbox0\vbox{ABC\partest

{\tracingonline1\showboxbreadth\maxdimen\showboxdepth\maxdimen\showlists}%
   \showthe\lastnodetype
}

Any ideas what goes wrong or how I should alter things to make this
possible?

thanks
frank