[lltx] Problems with fontspec

Arno Trautmann Arno.Trautmann at gmx.de
Wed Oct 19 12:24:29 CEST 2011

Hi all,

at the DANTE autumn meeting, Herbert Voss pointed out some problems with
LuaTeX and fonts. Apart from other problems, one thing is quite
striking, concerning the Linux Libertine Fonts delivered with TeX Live:

\documentclass{minimal}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\setmainfont{Linux Libertine O} % works, but no slanted
%\setmainfont{Linux Libertine O Italic} % works, but all italic (ok)
%\setmainfont{Linux Libertine Slanted O} % breaks with font-not-found
% \setmainfont{LinLibertineSlantedO} % works, but all slanted (ok)
\setmainfont[SlantedFont=LinLibertineSlantedO]{Linux Libertine O} % does
the job correctly
\begin{document}
abc \textrm{abc} \textit{abc} \textsl{abc}
\end{document}

The problem is the slanted font. It is neither found automatically, nor
can it be accessed using its "fullname" – only the "psname" works. The
same is true for my system-installed Libertine, but without the “O” in
the name. However, with XeTeX, the font is found and used correctly, so
it seems more to be a otfload-related problem than a fontspec or
Libertine bug.

Another thing: setting Linux Libertine O Italic as main font results in
italics everywhere. I'd consider this a feature, but am not sure if it
should be called a bug.

Finally: fontspec still gobbles spaces in error messages:

! The font "LinuxLibertineSlantedO" cannot be found.

Bug or feature?

cheers
Arno