[lltx] luaotfload update

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Mon Oct 17 18:37:49 CEST 2011

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 06:23:13PM +0200, Ulrike Fischer wrote:

> >> Sorry, I've been away and unable to look into this.
>
> >> Could we provide a feature-file including the standard TeX ligatures
> >> and use that?
>
> I sent a small file some days ago which worked fine. It only needs
> some polishing on the script/language side where I don't know the
> best combinition.
>
> I personally think a feature file is a good idea. Using lua-code /
> virtual fonts or something like this is imho problematic as the
> context interfaces are not stable enough.

I think it just needs a (not so) few more `languagesystem` statements
with all possible scripts and language `dflt` (though I need to test
what happens if the font have languages other than default).

> > I think we can have a feature file for that, it would even include all
> > scripts recognised by fontspec so it can work regardless of the chosen
> > script.
>
> >> Is it possible to use more than a single .fea file to construct the
> >> additional OpenType information? Even if not, it's not the end of the
> >> world, as XeTeX "mapping" files can only be applied single-y and that
> >> hasn't been a big impediment.
>
> > `featurefile` (should) accept a coma-separated list of files, but this
> > does not work now. I think I found a fix, though.
>
> I have seen some posting where feature files have been used to
> change the kerning. Actually I think they will be used more with
> luatex as there are text files and so much easier to use.

My opinion too, (unless if someone wants to implement it by direct node
list processing).

> So I think it is important that you can use more than one feature
> file (or that they can be assembled on-the-fly by fontspec).

In git now one can pass "featurefile=foo,bar,whatever", but fontspec
FeatureFile option need to be updated to "accumulate" all its
invocations and pass it once to luaotfload so it can be used more than
once. Not something I co do, though.