[lltx] luaotfload update

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Thu Oct 6 09:26:53 CEST 2011

On Thu, Oct 06, 2011 at 09:11:46AM +0200, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Am Thu, 6 Oct 2011 17:18:03 +1030 schrieb Will Robertson:
>
> > On 06/10/2011, at 5:10 PM, Khaled Hosny wrote:
>
> >> Hans keeps those two IIRC because em and en dashes are hard to
> >> distinguish in monospaced fonts while editing, but even those are not
> >> supported now in luaotfload as I stated earlier.
>
> > Frankly, this is crazy. LuaLaTeX *cannot* drop support entirely
> > for these features. There have been countless requests for how
> > these should be activated in the XeTeX mailing list, even after
> > that feature was implemented there. Can't we just keep the old
> > code lying around?
>
> Well "keeping the old code" means that the development of the font
> loader code in lualatex doesn't keep pace with the development of
> the code in context.
>
> But before the discussion gets to hot I think it would be a good
> idea to check what works and what doesn't.
>
> I think there are three cases:
>
> 1. "Real" ligatures ff, fi, ffl etc which are features of the fonts
> and implemented through "real" open type features. I'm certain that
> these still works.
>
> 2. The "faked" (so called TeX)-ligatures for en-dash and em-dash: --
> and ---. Last time I heard about them in the context list Hans just
> implemented a fix to get around a bug in connections with this
> ligatures. So I'm quite confident that they still work in context
> and so too with the newest luaotfload. But it must be tested.

They work in ConTeXt but not in luaotfload. Hans did some refactoring
few months ago and made the font code more split into generic and
ConTeXt only code, as a result the module doing fake ligatures is now
ConTeXt only. This modules officially only supported the dashes, but I
used to patch it to include the quotes, now it is entirely gone.

 Egyptian
 Arab