[lltx] luaotfload update

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Thu Oct 6 09:20:12 CEST 2011

On Thu, Oct 06, 2011 at 05:18:03PM +1030, Will Robertson wrote:
> On 06/10/2011, at 5:10 PM, Khaled Hosny wrote:
>
> > Hans keeps those two IIRC because em and en dashes are hard to
> > distinguish in monospaced fonts while editing, but even those are not
> > supported now in luaotfload as I stated earlier.
>
> Frankly, this is crazy. LuaLaTeX *cannot* drop support entirely for
> these features. There have been countless requests for how these
> should be activated in the XeTeX mailing list, even after that feature
> was implemented there.

If it is up to me I'll just tell them to use csquote or enter the
Unicode quotes directly. But I've nothing against this feature at all, I
just can't right that code myself.

> Can't we just keep the old code lying around?

Old code and new code are incompatible and not having two different
OpenType engines is the very reason I'm hacking luaotfload.

> Otherwise, XeTeX supports these features with its Unicode input
> mapping feature -- what are the chances this could be written with a
> Lua callback? It's a useful feature in itself, and the big reason
> polyglossia is currently XeTeX-only.

My wild guess is it shouldn't be too hard, but someone need to write
that code :)

 Egyptian
 Arab