[lltx] luaotfload update

Philipp Stephani p.stephani2 at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 6 08:29:40 CEST 2011

2011/10/6 Patrick Gundlach <patrick at gundla.ch>:

> Am 06.10.2011 um 08:09 schrieb Philipp Stephani:
>
>> 2011/10/6 Patrick Gundlach <patrick at gundla.ch>:
>>> so what is the ConTeXt solution to this (no TeX ligatures)? Or is this just dropped and nobody cared?
>>
>> The correct solution is to enter these characters directly: “, “, –, —, etc.
>
> But a) this breaks TeX compatibility in a big way (IMO)

I think the ConTeXt and LuaTeX people do not care too much about
compatibility (which is the right thing IMO, we have to move forward).

> and not everyone has an ffi-ligature on his/her keyboard.

These typographic ligatures should still work. Only the ligatures that
are input methods in disguise (for dashes, quotation marks etc.)
should break.

> I just tried ConTeXt, the ligatures there still work.

Aha, it's not as easy as I thought. I just tested the following
document with TeX Live 2011's ConTeXt:

\usetypescriptfile[type-vista]
\usetypescript[constantia]
\setupbodyfont[constantia]
\starttext
--- —
-- –
`` “
'' ”
fluffiest
\stoptext

The dash ligatures still work, the others don't. With Latin Modern,
the typographic ligatures (fl, ffi) work as well. The quotation mark
ligatures don't work in any font.