[lltx] \expanded: a pdfTeX primitive?

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Fri May 27 12:49:55 CEST 2011

Le 27/05/2011 12:23, Paul Isambert a écrit :
> If I remember correctly, \expanded is a pdfTeX primitive... that never
> made it to pdfTeX, hence its absence in the manual.

Then isn't that a bit weird that it's listed as a pdfTeX primitive? Or is it
planned to finally make it into a future release of pdfTeX (if releases are
still planned)?

> And it's meaning is to expand completely its argument. E.g.:
>
> \def\foo{\bar}
> \def\bar{bla}
> \immediate\write17{\unexpanded\expandafter{\expanded{\foo\foo}}}
>
> prints "blabla".

Yep, I know, I was about to use it in a fctt thread to propose an alternative
solution to yours, when I stupidly wanted to test my code (now I know why I
don't usually do it: it only brings new problems) and noticed that.

Manuel.