[lltx] [tex-live] Location of recorder file

Paul Isambert zappathustra at free.fr
Fri May 13 12:57:17 CEST 2011

Le 13/05/2011 12:43, Heiko Oberdiek a écrit :
> On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 10:25:16AM +0200, Paul Isambert wrote:

>>> I don't see any way to achieve that at the moment.
>> The following observation might help: \everyjob is put into the
>> stream before whatever comes next. So it can know what's coming,
>> either \input or anything else. If it is \input, then it just has to
>> use one \expandafter before doing what it is supposed to do, and
>> \jobname is correctly fixed.
>>
>> For instance, try "lualatex \input test"
> And this will miss the cases where some code is inbetween that
> does not affect \jobname, e.g.:
>    "lualatex \def\flag{...}\input test"
>
> And quoting the \jobname should not be necessary, because
> LuaTeX supports the {}-syntax with \input, \openin, \openout, ...
> Thus the LaTeX kernel macros that mess with file input and output
> needs fixed to support spaces. Unhappily this will also change
> internal interfaces, because the space is used as end delimiter
> of the file name or spaces are removed from file names (\includeonly).

I thought the basic ideas (as explained elsewhere) is you can't expect
any prior macro, either in the kernel or in packages, to be fixed, so
you have to live with that.

Also, overloading the command line makes the code fails, but it also
fails with other engines. I.e. "tex \edef\foo{\jobname} \input test"
forces \jobname to "texput"; the only difference here is that "texput"
will be used even if nothing refers to \jobname on the command line.

Finally, I wonder what's the fuss: the problem, if I understand
correctly, is that pdfTeX automatically quoted \jobname when necessary;
LuaTeX doesn't do that, hence the trouble. But if I'm not mistaken,
LaTeX doesn't rely on pdfTeX anyway, so it shouldn't allow filenames
with spaces and the behavior in LuaTeX shouldn't be troublesome. Am I
missing something?

Best,
Paul