[lltx] pattern loading in luatex

Stephan Hennig mailing_list at arcor.de
Sun Mar 6 00:52:17 CET 2011

schrieb Philipp Stephani:

> Actually the manual (§6.4) states
>
> "First and foremost, there is no ‘compressed trie' involved in
> hyphenation. The algorithm still reads patgen-generated pattern files,
> but LuaTEX uses a finite state hash to match the patterns against the
> word to be hyphenated."

Which, once more, is a rather terse description.  I guess, the "finite
state" (automaton) part refers to a trie with pre-calculated fall-back
transitions.  During the decomposition of a word into patterns, these
fall-back transitions make it possible to maintain just one active state
instead of a (redundant) set of currently active states.  The "hash"
part probably refers to the data structure used for storing the trie
(the automaton).

Best regards,
Stephan Hennig