[lltx] \hyphenation has no effect?

Arno Trautmann Arno.Trautmann at gmx.de
Sat Jun 25 17:31:42 CEST 2011

Hi all,

I have a somewhat strange situation: A participant of my LaTeX course
has problems with the following document:

\documentclass{minimal}
\hyphenation{Bomben-anschlag}

\begin{document}
Dies ist ein Text, der zeigen soll, dass es nicht immer möglich ist
richtig Wörter zu trennen. Es ist nicht immer einfach zu entscheiden,
vorallem bei Wörtern wie Bombenanschlag.
\end{document}

The word "Bombenanschlag" should be hyphenated as indicated, but without
hyphenation patterns, it is hyphenated "Bombe-nanschlag". With XeLaTeX,
everything works as expected, but with LuaLaTeX the \hyphenation does
not seem to do anything.
A diff of the log files shows a difference for XeLaTeX (one more
hyphenation exception, as expected), but for LuaLaTeX, the log files are
the same, and attached to this mail.

I cannot reproduce his problem, and am not sure if it might be due to
his older LuaTeX version (0.60, from latest TeXlive 2010) – or that he
works on a Windows machine and I am on Linux x64?

cheers
Arno