[lltx] luaotfload and OSFONTDIR

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Mon Jul 25 15:28:04 CEST 2011

The code in luaotfload which generates the font cache
(otfl-font-nms.lua) contains the comment

--[[
  For the OS fonts, there are several options:
   - if OSFONTDIR is set (which is the case under windows by default
but not on the other OSs), it scans it at the same time as the texmf
tree, in the scan_texmf_fonts.
   - if not:
    - under Windows and Mac OSX, we take a look at some hardcoded
directories
    - under Unix, we read /etc/fonts/fonts.conf and read the
directories in it

  This means that if you have fonts in fancy directories, you need
to set them in OSFONTDIR.
]]

Does setting somehow OSFONTDIR actually work somewhere?

I couldn't find anything in the code that looked as if luaotfload
would actually use it (apart from log-lines). And various tests
didn't do something either. (I'm not quite sure what in this context
"OSFONTDIR" is -- a variable in texmf.cnf or an environment
variable).

--
Ulrike Fischer