[lltx] quietening lualatex console output

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 11:22:03 CET 2011

Hi,

I agree on the saner output by default but...

On 29/01/2011, at 8:28 PM, Philipp Stephani wrote:

> - \scrollmode (i.e. no user interaction) by default

...please no! In my limited experience with seeing others use LaTeX, \nonstopmode is the cause of many undiagnosed (or late-diagnosed) problems that make the whole compilation *more* mysterious, not less, to the average user.

> Another thing @Will: did you ever consider building a "LaTeX 2.2" format that is essentially LaTeX 2e with expl3 and the xpackages (and, for XeTeX and LuaTeX, fontspec) preloaded? That should not break anything, but it would make expl3 more attractive and reduce compilation times. Also, expl3 should probably move to the latex-base collection of TeX Live since it is nowadays required by important packages such as fontspec and siunitx.

The argument so far is that since expl3 is being updated still relatively frequently, it's not ready yet to be bundled into a format. But in short, yes, the idea has been thrown around. Something to consider later this year, perhaps.

-- Will