[lltx] [luatex] Tracking feature with microtype and LuaTeX

Till A. Heilmann till.heilmann at unibas.ch
Sun Feb 6 22:27:34 CET 2011

With the new microtype beta 5, the above minimal example works. Thank
you for your help--and, obviously, for all the fantastic work you
guys are putting into Lua(La)TeX and the packages!

Things are different (and much more complicated) for my real life
book project, though. In this particular and rather complex case, I
cannot seem to get it right. It is difficult to explain in detail,
but I will try to show some of the problems bothering me with two
other (almost) minimal examples.

Consider this file first ...

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[ngerman]{babel}
\usepackage{blindtext}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\setmainfont{TeX Gyre Bonum}
\renewcommand{\rmdefault}{qbk}
\newcommand{\mysmallfont}{\fontsize{8}{10}\rmfamily}
\usepackage[tracking=true,letterspace=0]{microtype}
\DeclareMicrotypeSet*[tracking]{mytracking}{encoding={*}}
\SetTracking{encoding={*},family={rm*},size={8}}{188}
\begin{document}
\blindtext\par
\mysmallfont
\blindtext
\end{document}

The code works just the way I want it: The tracking feature of
microtype is enabled and fonts are not letterspaced in general but
only in specified cases (e.g. serif fonts in size 8pt).

What I do not understand is why

a) I have to load the fontenc package (line 5) with option T1 (I keep
reading loading fontenc is not necessary with fontspec)

and why

b) I need to set Bonum as \rmdefault with \renewcommand (line 7): is
\setmainfont not supposed to handle this?

Without fontenc, tracking works but the document is set not in Bonum
but in Computern Modern. Without \renewcommand{\rmdefault}{qbk},
neither the tracking works nor is Bonum used.

As a consequence, I load fontenc but this, in turn, breaks some of my
characters: Consider the second file ...

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\setmainfont{TeX Gyre Bonum}
\begin{document}
ß … –
\end{document}

Now, Bonum is not used and the sharp S, the ellipsis, and the en dash
are set wrong (or not at all), apparently because fontenc *is* loaded
(line 3). Without loading fontenc, it works just fine (and no need
for a \renewcommand{\rmdefault}{qbk} either).

I'm confused.
--
Dr. Till A. Heilmann
Assistenz