[lltx] Fwd: Re: fontspec: No small caps with `Ligatures=TeX'

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 16:23:30 CEST 2010

Hi,

See below. From a thread on c.t.t. perhaps for future reference.
I guess I should actually put this on github.
Oh well :)

Subject: Re: fontspec: No small caps with `Ligatures=TeX'
From: Enrico Gregorio <gregorio at math.unipd.it>

Arash Esbati <esbati at gmx.de> wrote:

Enrico Gregorio <gregorio at math.unipd.it> writes:

There is also another one, but I'm not sure whether it depends
on fontspec or on luaotfload.

I think the culprit is `fxlb.otf' itself.  Try:

-> otfinfo -i fxlb.otf
Family:              Linux Libertine O
Subfamily:           Bold Regular
Full name:           Linux Libertine O Bold
PostScript name:     LinLibertineOB
Version:             Version 4.1.5

The Subfamily should be `Bold' and not `Bold Regular'.  I edited the
respecting line in my otfl-names.lua manually and it worked (see below)

{
["familyname"]="Linux Libertine O",
["filename"]={ "fxlb.otf", false },
["fontname"]="LinLibertineOB",
["fullname"]="Linux Libertine O Bold",
["names"]={
["family"]="Linux Libertine O",
["fullname"]="Linux Libertine O Bold",
["psname"]="LinLibertineOB",
["subfamily"]="Bold Regular",
["subfamily"]="Bold", <<<<---- Changed
},
["size"]={},
["slant"]=0,
["weight"]=700,
["width"]=5,
},

What do you think, would you consider this a bug in the font?

Well found! I guess Élie Roux or whoever is in charge of this
business should try and correct the naming algorithm. After all
"Bold Regular" doesn't seem completely incorrect, albeit nonstandard.

Ciao
Enrico

-- Will