[lltx] Problem with slanted fonts

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Sun Sep 19 16:24:52 CEST 2010

Am Sun, 19 Sep 2010 14:37:31 +0300 schrieb Khaled Hosny:

>>> I've been trying to track down the origin of this bug and so far
>>> I'm out of luck.
>>
>> I have tracked it a bit down. The source is 1. that \slshape use sub
>> in \DeclareFontShape and 2. that the "font declaration" is stored in
>> a command. The result depends also on the actual font. In the
>> following example Times New Roman gives "only" some unwanted text in
>> the pdf (because "Times" is the name of an existing font too), while
>> Lucida gives directly an error (! Font
>> \EU2/testfam/m/n/10=name:Lucida not loadable:). Attention: If you
>> use both method (with and without command \fontdesc) for the same
>> font they can be side effect.
>
> So, how XeTeX is dealing with this? If its behaviour can be emulated in
> luaotfload then we should do it, else it might be something for LuaTeX
> to handle.

I have no idea how xetex is going around. But I found the place
where it fails: in \do at subst@correction. A failing example gives
this with tracingmacros =1 :

EU2/testfam/m/n -><->"name:Lucida Sans"

<->"name:Lucida Sans" ->

\subst at correction ->\EU2/testfam/m/it/10 \global \font
\EU2/testfam/m/n/10 \fontname \font \relax
luaotfload | Updating the font names database:
luaotfload | Scanning TEXMF and OS fonts...
... and then error

A non failing shows this (notice the missing space!):

EU2/testfam/m/n -><->"name:LucidaSans"

<->"name:LucidaSans" ->

\subst at correction ->\EU2/testfam/m/it/10 \global \font
\EU2/testfam/m/n/10 \fontname \font \relax
luaotfload | load font: font family='lucidasans',
subfamily='regular' found: lsans.ttf

--
Ulrike Fischer