[lltx] [luatex] fontspec prevents hyphenation

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Sun Nov 28 12:05:01 CET 2010

Hi,

On 11/22/2010 01:22 PM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

>> Would you be so kind to fix this?
>
> The problematic case seems to be: a combination of a non-letter in one
> font, followed by a letter in another font. LuaTeX does not consider
> that a valid word start. I will add an item to the tracker database.

That was a bad analysis. The bug is not in luatex at all, it is a bug
in fontspec.  Some input like

   (\emph{hyphenation})

in fontspec produces the following low-level node list

   ( \/ h y p h e n a t i o n \/ )

and the "\/ h" combination is not a valid word start (the second italic
correction is fine, the first one is the problem).

In this, luatex is compatible with TeX itself, you can try

   \showhyphens{(\/hyphenation\/)}

in plain TeX to see the thing happening (same lack of hyphenation).

Closing the luatex tracker item,

Taco