[lltx] announcing lualatex-doc

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Mon Nov 8 15:29:08 CET 2010

Am Mon, 08 Nov 2010 03:40:45 +0100 schrieb Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to announce that I commited a tentative guide to the current state of
> LuaLaTeX. From the readme:

>> Feedback and suggestions for improvement are most welcome.

Two remarks:

1. Section 2.2.4 Font internals and 5.2 Partially working:

euenc no longer uses/contains  a modified version of xunicode.
Fontspec now loads the original version (it defines temporarly
\XeTeXpicfile to get around the "ifxetex"-test of xunicode).

2. Section 5.1. "Just working"

Soul and listings don't have a problem with utf8-chars broken into
pieces. But there are other problems:

soul gets the numbers of characters in its argument by "printing"
the argument with a tt-fonts and dividing the length. As a default
it use ectt as tt-font and naturally this doesn't give the correct
result if the argument contains glyphs above the first 256 positions
(e.g. greek or €). The following will give some suprising result
with xelatex:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{soul}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\makeatletter
% \font\SOUL at tt="LMMono10-Regular" %helps with xetex
\makeatletter
\begin{document}
Euro: \ul{ab€€€} \ul{a€€€b}
\end{document}

(It fails with my lualatex (0.60.2) because of a problem discussed
in july on the luatex list. I don't know if this problem has been
solved in newer versions).

listings has a similar problem: It activates and defines output only
for the first 256 characters. So you can get quite suprising output
if your input uses chars from outside this range:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\usepackage{listings}
\makeatletter
%\lst at CCPut \lst at ProcessLetter {"20AC}\z@
%\lstset{MoreSelectCharTable=\catcode`\€\active}
\makeatother
\begin{document}
\begin{lstlisting}[columns=flexible]
a€b
\end{lstlisting}

x \lstinline|a€b| y
\end{document}

On the whole one should not forget that "256" was a long time a
limit and that this limit is often burried quite deep in some
packages.

--
Ulrike Fischer