[lltx] Can luatex auto-run mkluatexfontd

Simon Spiegel simon at simifilm.ch
Tue May 18 18:05:33 CEST 2010

On 18.05.2010, at 17:55, lualatex-dev-request at tug.org wrote:
> On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 09:14:35PM +0000, Karl Berry wrote:
>>> osx:
>>> /System/Library/Fonts//;/Network/Library/Fonts//;/Library/Fonts//
>>
>>      You probably also want $HOME/Library/Fonts// there.
>>
>> I am not enthused about embedding system directories in our texmf.cnf,
>> which will inevitably change without warning with os releases, cause
>> weird problems/slowdowns for some users because their setups aren't the
>> same as yours, etc.
>
> AFAIK, those are the only documented font directories by Apple and
> Microsoft and are unlikely to change or be different between OS versions
> etc. I also, naively, thought that since texmf.cnf is a configuration
> file it is more appropriate place to store such configuration items
> rather than hardcoding them into luaotfload, and in is easier to update
> a configuration file than releasing a new version of a package, or so I
> thought.

I see one not so small potential problem here: There are various font managers for OSX which store their fonts in non standard locations (for example, I use FontExplorer X Pro). Still, these programs make their fonts available to all apps which use the standard system APIs. I'd claim that such managers might not be so rare among (La)TeX users since they often care about their fonts. But these managed fonts wouldn't be available to LuaLaTeX …

simon

--
Simon Spiegel
Steinhaldenstr. 50

Telephon: ++41 44 451 5334
Mobophon: ++41 76 459 60 39

http://www.simifilm.ch

„Goethen getroffen. Beeindruckt.“ Unbekannt