[lltx] Re: xunicode & euenc

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Fri Mar 26 09:30:37 CET 2010

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 10:20:30AM +0200, Élie Roux wrote:
> 2010/3/26 Will Robertson <wspr81 at gmail.com>:
> >
> > * Let's drop the idea of the "extras package" which provides TIPA support and so on. I think this is very niche functionality that will hardly see an audience. Remember that documents these days will usually be encoded in unicode anyway; the big advantage to xunicode is the backwards compatibility aspect providing unicode definitions for the standard LaTeX accent commands. TIPA is not among these.
>
> Definitely agreed!
>
> > * Try to counteract any conflicts that may occur with (new) euenc plus old xunicode. It might be that we can only incorporate xunicode into the EU2 encoding to avoid problems with backwards compatibility in XeTeX. If Ross is stepping back for supplying xunicode for LuaTeX, I see no problem with incorporating its features into euenc.
>
> In fact, one of the problems are that the loading is made in the
> Options part of fontenc... meaning no ProvidesPackage, no
> RequirePackage, etc. so we just can't input xunicode.sty in
> euxenc.def... that's why I had do modify it. Unless you have some
> hacks to counter this? Should we hack some macros to pretend we're not
> in the Options section?

If it were me, I'd just do the following, for XeTeX just load xunicode,
for LuaTeX, just rewrite xunicode the lua way (for example, make tables
of character categories and small lua functions that loop through it
and feed TeX with the definitions macros, get ride of TeX hackary, etc.)
so it is either to read and maintain for mere mortal, then incorporate
the new package with euenc. The luafication might not be needed on the
short run, but as XeTeX compatibility is not need, we should go the lua
way from the start (remind you of my ulterior motive; less TeX and more
lua).