[lltx] Re: luamicrotype?

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 05:59:09 CET 2010

On 03/03/2010, at 3:18 PM, Khaled Hosny wrote:

> I'm already struggling with fontspec having to support XeTeX too (I
> really hate when I've to deal with complex, mind blowing TeX code that
> one can replace by straightforward, easy to understand lua functions).

fontspec is a particularly bad example, because it was my first LaTeX package and grew rather awkwardly over a number of years. The code design is pretty bad, but I'm not the sort of person to rewrite things from scratch, so I'm trying to slowly fix it up as I go along.

FWIW, having not written significant amounts of Lua code yet means that actually I'm far more comfortable with TeX macros than Lua code, but I'm not arguing that Lua isn't the way to go for any new programmatic tasks.

But I agree with Robert that there's no point replacing an already-existing implementation in TeX with a new one in Lua just because Lua is the more sane programming language.

-- Will