[lltx] [fontspec] selecting font features has no effect?

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 13:00:46 CEST 2010

On 31/03/2010, at 9:21 PM, Diederick C. Niehorster wrote:

>> You do need to be able to load a specific font face sometimes, so I'd say
>>
>>  \setfontface\foo{Arno Pro Italic}
>>
>> should be valid. (Say if you're using it as a swash face without an upright.)
>
> Hmm, in that case I guess fontspec should somehow detect (or it should
> be told?) that it is loading the italic version, so that it wont try
> to load the italic version of the italic version (tho i guess it
> should load the bold version of this italic version).

\newfontface doesn't try to load any shape variations.

\newfontfamily does, but at least from the point of XeTeX it's impossible to know that you're loading an italic font and not to try loading an italic variant. LuaTeX might offer more information here but I don't really think it's a situation that needs special attention.

You can suppress italic loading by writing [ItalicFont={}] but I don't think this is documented :)

-- Will