[lltx] Re: xunicode & euenc

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 09:50:50 CET 2010

On 26/03/2010, at 7:07 PM, Élie Roux wrote:

> 2010/3/26 Khaled Hosny <khaledhosny at eglug.org>:
>>
>> If it were me, I'd just do the following, for XeTeX just load xunicode,
>> for LuaTeX, just rewrite xunicode the lua way (for example, make tables
>> of character categories and small lua functions that loop through it
>> and feed TeX with the definitions macros, get ride of TeX hackary, etc.)
>> so it is either to read and maintain for mere mortal, then incorporate
>> the new package with euenc. The luafication might not be needed on the
>> short run, but as XeTeX compatibility is not need, we should go the lua
>> way from the start (remind you of my ulterior motive; less TeX and more
>> lua).
>
> I think the overall idea is good, but as we have something working, I
> don't really see the point, and with the current solution we can
> synchronize with new versions of xunicode simply, and this requires
> less maintenance. But I agree with you, if we have to add or change
> something big, it would be best to convert in Lua...

Right; agreed that we should keep things as are in xunicode. Especially because our approach might end up being used on XeTeX as well, best to keep things as TeX macros.

-- Will

To unsubscribe from this group, send email to lualatex-dev+unsubscribegooglegroups.com or reply to this email with the words "REMOVE ME" as the subject.