[lltx] Re: xunicode & euenc

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Fri Mar 26 09:58:47 CET 2010

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 06:54:01PM +1030, Will Robertson wrote:
> On 26/03/2010, at 6:50 PM, Élie Roux wrote:
>
> >> * Try to counteract any conflicts that may occur with (new) euenc plus old xunicode. It might be that we can only incorporate xunicode into the EU2 encoding to avoid problems with backwards compatibility in XeTeX. If Ross is stepping back for supplying xunicode for LuaTeX, I see no problem with incorporating its features into euenc.
> >
> > In fact, one of the problems are that the loading is made in the
> > Options part of fontenc... meaning no ProvidesPackage, no
> > RequirePackage, etc. so we just can't input xunicode.sty in
> > euxenc.def... that's why I had do modify it. Unless you have some
> > hacks to counter this? Should we hack some macros to pretend we're not
> > in the Options section?
>

> Nah, I think the current approach of forking xunicode for this purpose is best for now. Even if it's only for EU2 (i.e., just for LuaTeX).

But Ross won't support it, and I doubt we can (I myself can't even read
that code! yet to debug/fix it), but if you think you can maintain that
fork, so be it.

But again, if it were me I'd just define what xunicode is supposed to do
and then do it from scratch in a way we can maintain. I believe this is
the right time for us to do all sorts of experimental packages; luatex
still in beta stage, so we can't claim our code is stable, but if we
wait longer, I'm afraid we will eventually fall into TeX's legacy trap
and keep every thing as is because it is supposed to be stable.