[lltx] packages list

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Tue Mar 30 13:33:32 CEST 2010

Élie Roux a écrit :
> 2010/3/30 Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard <mpg at elzevir.fr>:
>>> luatextra:      loads luaextra+luatexbase+luaotfload; goodies (gen, luatex)
>
> I think a good idea would be to make it load xltxtra under xetex... wdyt?
>
>>> xltxtra:        loads basics & fontspec; goodies & patches (ltx, xetex)
>>>                 Plan: extend it to luatex, maybe merge luatextra in later.
>
> If I remember correctly, a check is done for luatex, it doesn't do
> anything in this case (no error), for compatibility. Maybe it should
> load luatextra too?

In addition to Will's objection, I think it's too early to do this, since the
packages are quite different now: luatextra only loads luaotfload (not fontspec
yet) and doesn't provide all the goodies and patches that xltxtra provides. But
later, we might consider something like this (probably replacing the xltxtra
with the bits of it, if Will splits it as he suggests).

>>> luainputenc:    input encoding & compat for fontenc (ltx, luatex)
>>>                 Plan: add more modes, inc. one without active chars.
>
> There is already one mode without active characters... but I don't
> really see the point. Unless you mean really translate 8-bit encoding
> to unicode? I don't think it's worth spending some time on it if you
> want my opinion... the LIRC encoding works well and is fully
> compatible;

I don't agree, there are lots of problems with active characters, see the post
"Cyrillic in \directlua" from 3 days ago on luatex@ for an example. Yep, my idea
is to translate to real non-active Unicode.

> if we change it for real unicode, it will be less
> compatible and some people may stick with old encodings (to use them
> with OTF for example), and this seems totally wrong.

I'd like to implement many modes, document there advantages and limitations in
detail, and let the user choose.

> Sounds good! Except for luafontenc, but I already gave my opinion...

Can you please remind me?

Manuel.

To unsubscribe from this group, send email to lualatex-dev+unsubscribegooglegroups.com or reply to this email with the words "REMOVE ME" as the subject.